Shillong, April 30: The principal secretary to the governor of Meghalaya Mr MS Rao today has sent a letter to Chandra Mohan Jha Chairman of the CMJ University directing the university to withdraw all the degrees awarded so far to student.
In the letters has also clearly mention that students who where admitted to the university from 2010 to 2013 are illegal. The governor of Meghalaya has asked the university authority to has to sent the report to the the Visitor-by 21st May, 2013. These is the letter sent the Shri Chandra Mohan Jha Chairman CMJ Foundation read as,
Shri Chandra Mohan Jha Chairman CMJ Foundation Modrina Mansion Laitumkhrah, Shillong
Directives by the Visitor under Section 13 (3) (b) of the CMJ University Act, 2009.
I am directed to state that on perusal of the records and information submitted by CMJ Foundation on the CMJ University, following irregularities have been observed:
1. The Chancellor of the University appointed by the sponsor does not have the approval of the Visitor. This is in violation of Section 14(1) of the CMJ University Act, 2009. Consequently all further actions of the CMJ University resulting from the appointment of the Chancellor are illegal and void abinitio.
2. In the proposal submitted for appointment of the Chancellor by G:MJ Foundation in 2009, the Bio-data of the recommended candidate Shri Chandra Mohan Jha was enclosed stating that he is the Director of a number of colleges within and outside Meghalaya without clearly indicating their University .affiliation. One of these Colleges viz. The Shillong Engineering and Management College was deaffiliated “by NEHU w.e.f. academic session 2011-2012.
3. The CMJ University has enrolled the following number of students in
All the above admissions are illegal.
4: The CMJ University has awarded Ph.D degree to 434 students during 2012-2013 and has enrolled 490 students for the Ph.D programme during 2012-2013. On the other hand the faculty strength of the CMJ
University is only 10 teachers with Ph.D qualification. These
enrolments and award of Ph.D degrees are in contravention of the UGC (Minimum Standards and Procedure for Awards of M.PhiljPh.D degree) Regulation, 2009.
5. The CMJ University issued a false and misleading newspaper advertisement in the Shillong Times on April 22nd, 2013 claiming that the University has not yet awarded any Ph.D degree to any of the students enrolled from the State of Assam. On the other hand this office has reliable information that the CMJ University has awarded Ph.D degree to candidates from Assam.
6. The CMJ University has not submitted the Annual Reports to the Visitor in violation of Section 45(3) of the CMJ University Act 2009.
7. CMJ University has also acted in contravention of Section 52 of the
CMJ University Act, 2009 in respect Qf maintenance of standards and
other related matters applicable to Private Universities.
In view of the above, the Governor of Meghalaya,~ in his capacity as the Visitor of the CMJ University issues the following directions under the Section 13 (3) (b) of the CMJ University Act 2009 for immediate compliance:
1. The CMJ University shall recall/withdraw all the degrees awarded so far and publish this fact in national and local newspapers at their own cost.
2. The CMJ Foundation shall submit a fresh proposal for appointment of the Chancellor along with the correct Bio-data of the candidate recommended and supporting documents.
3. The CMJ University shall frame rules and procedures for admission into the M.Phil and Ph.D degree programmes, allocation of supervisor, course work, evaluation, assessment and other related matters in, accordance with the UGC (Minimum Standards and Procedure for Awards of M.Phil/Ph.D degree) Regulation, 2009.
4. No fresh admission of students shall be undertaken by the CMJ University till compliance of the above instructions and till the appointment of the Chancellor in accordance with Section 14 (1)..of the CMJ University Act 2009.
You are hereby required to comply with the above directives and submit a compliance report to the Visitor-by 21st May, 2013.
, ( M.S.Rao )
Principal Secretary to the Governor of Meghalaya(SP News)